What is the Bible? (Discipleship Training)
What is the Bible? Why is the Bible so important? What makes the Bible different from other books in the world? What does the Bible tell us that we can’t learn from observing creation around us?
Before we can get very far in our discipleship, we must understand that the Bible is God’s breathed-out (inspired) word to us. In the Bible, God speaks to us, exposes the sinfulness of our hearts, convicts us of our sin, and leads us to the promises of Christ in the gospel.
The Bible is “the only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy” God (WSC 2). Furthermore, “The Scriptures principally teach what man is to believe concerning God, and what duty God requires of man” (WSC 3).
To understand the nature of the Bible as God’s breathed-out, written word, which informs us what we should believe concerning God, and what duty God requires of us.
Read and discuss:
- Psalm 19: General Revelation vs. Special Revelation
- 2 Timothy 3:14–17: The Scriptures make us wise to salvation; Breathed out by God
- Hebrews 4:12: The word of God is living and active
- 2 Peter 1:16–21: Something more sure: the prophetic word
Read and discuss:
- Wesminster Confession of Faith, Ch. 1:1–5
- Westminster Larger Catechism #1–4
- Westminster Shorter Catechism #1–3
- Why do you think the Westminster Confession of Faith begins with a statement about the nature of the Bible?
- What can we learn from the light of nature? What can’t we learn from the light of nature?
- What biblical evidence is there that “those former ways of God’s revealing his will unto his people [are] now ceased” (WCF 1.1)?
- What reasons do we have for believing the Bible? Of those reasons, which are the most important?
- Begin reading the Bible daily (Suggested Resource: Free Daily Bible Study)
FREE eBook: Fruitfulness and Faithfulness: God’s Mission and Mandate of Every Christian
Grow in God’s Plan for Your Fruitfulness and Faithfulness
Invest Your Life Well
Discover God’s breathtaking vision for the fruitfulness of his people.
Learn how to live fruitfully and faithfully in the kingdom of Jesus.
Download the free eBook now.
Get the eBook
Bonus: You’ll also get a discipleship assessment tool to evaluate areas for you to grow in fruitfulness and faithfulness.