The Church (Discipleship Training)
Or, read my introductory post on discipleship training here.
What this means is that the church must play a central role in our discipleship and our walk as Christians. For individualistic westerners, this is a difficult truth to swallow, and increasingly larger numbers of people are refraining from joining a local church.
The Bible, however, does not envision a Christian who is not part of a local church. For more information, read this article: Why Become a Member of a Church?
To understand the nature and purpose of the church, as well as to grow in our engagement with, involvement in, and love for the church.
Read and discuss:
- Matthew 16:13–20: The kingdom of Christ is opened by the proclamation that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God. (First Key of the Kingdom: Doctrine)
- Matthew 18:15–20: The kingdom of Christ is closed to those who do not repent from their sin. (Second Key of the Kingdom: Discipline)
- Acts 2:39; 1 Corinthians 7:14: The visible church consists of professing believers in Christ and their children.
- 1 Corinthians 12:12–31: The church is the body of Christ.
- Ephesians 2:19: The church is the household of God.
- Ephesians 3:15: The church is the family of God.
- Ephesians 5:25–33: The church is the bride of Christ.
- Colossians 1:13: The church is the kingdom of Christ
Read and discuss:
- What is the church?
- How many different ways does the Bible describe the church?
- What place does the church have in the redemptive plans of God?
- What place should the church ahve in the lives of individual believers?
- Consider your relationship to the church. Are you pursuing the peace, purity, and unity of the church?
- Consider your service to the church. Are you supporting the church in its worship and work, to the best of your ability?
FREE eBook: Fruitfulness and Faithfulness: God’s Mission and Mandate of Every Christian
Grow in God’s Plan for Your Fruitfulness and Faithfulness
Invest Your Life Well
Discover God’s breathtaking vision for the fruitfulness of his people.
Learn how to live fruitfully and faithfully in the kingdom of Jesus.
Download the free eBook now.